• Title page with appropriate title
o Title should clearly indicate the variables and the relationship that is being investigated
• This paper will be 8-10 pages in length
o 1 page for INTRODUCTION
o 2-3 pages for LIT REVIEW
o 1-2 pages for THEORY
o 1.5 – 2 pages for DISCUSSION
o ½ page for CONCLUSION
o Reference Page
• You must apply a sociological theory or concept
• Need a minimum of 5 references (at least 4 journal articles)
• Double Space, Times New Roman or Arial font, 12 point
• Develop a clear statement of direction within the first part of your introduction
• You will describe the scope of the problem. Try to answer the following questions: why is this relationship important to study? What is the social impact of this topic? Who does or does not benefit? Why?
• Utilize statistics to emphasize the impact of this relationship on society or how people are affected by this relationship / problem. Always cite source of statistics cited within your paper.
• Include descriptions and / or definitions of the variables to clarify the topic as well as give organization to your paper
• Briefly introduce the topics that will be discussed. Typically, students will select 2-4 subtopic areas of a social phenomenon. Use an outline to organize your subtopics. Present your subtopics at the end of the introduction so the reader has a general idea of the paper as well as the order these ideas will be presented in.
• Discuss each idea/topic separately and thoroughly (organization)
• Be sure that:
o Every paragraph has a focus that is described in the topic sentence
o Every sentence is related to the topic sentence
o Every quote or reference is supported with an elaboration or explanation
o Paraphrase whenever possible
o Discuss your variable thoroughly before going on to the next variable
• End your literature review section with your thesis statement,
• Apply theory to your topic.
• Explain your results in a clear and organized manner:
o State how the theory supports your thesis, and how it supports the literature review.
• Draw some conclusions and make sociological applications of your study: how can this study benefit society? Why is it important to continue to research this area? How does this study impact society or a particular population?
• Make suggestions for future studies in this area.
• How would you have done this study differently?
OUTLINE FOR QUALITATIVE PAPER
Discussion: How does theory tie in to Lit Review: