You continue to enjoy your summer legislative internship in Minnesota. Since you submitted your public health issue and policy review, the chief of staff, legislative director, and the legislator have met to discuss it. Strong support is building for the public health issue you selected and presented in your policy review. Several other legislators have contacted the office to express their support for legislative action on this public health issue. As a result, you have received another assignment.
Building on your previous work (the public health issue and policy review), you have been asked to continue working on your identified public health issue. For one of the three legislative actions you described previously, you are to develop a 1–2-page advocacy letter, written in the legislator’s voice, requesting another legislator’s support. Remember several legislators have already expressed their support directly to the legislator’s office.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assignment scoring guide criteria:
● Competency 1: Explain the impact of policies and legislation on individual and population health.
○ Concisely state the advocacy letter’s purpose in the first paragraph.
● Competency 3: Describe the relationship between cost, quality, and outcomes in determining public health funding decision-making.
○ Provide a summary of the public health issue and one recent, relevant legislative action, including the implementation level and a measurable outcome.
○ Explain how two key stakeholder groups’ support could advance the new legislation’s development and implementation.
● Competency 4: Develop policies that maximize the positive impacts of social and economic determinants on the health of individuals, communities, and populations.
○ Recommend two to three specific legislative improvements to bolster the legislation’s positive impact on social and economic determinants of health.
● Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with health care professionals.
○ Cite in APA format a minimum of two current, scholarly and/or authoritative sources that support the advocacy letter’s content within the text and in a separate reference page.
○ Compose a clear, persuasive, organized, and generally error-free advocacy letter that is reflective of professional communication in the public health field.
In addition to being accurate and persuasive, your letter requesting support from another legislator needs to include all of the following key components:
● Date and Addressee Line.
○ Name the legislator whose support and sponsorship your legislator is seeking.
● Advocacy Letter’s Purpose (1–2 sentences in the first paragraph).
○ State the advocacy letter’s purpose.
● Summary of Public Health Issue and One Recent Legislative Action (1 paragraph).
○ Summarize the public health issue and one of the three recent legislative actions you previously presented in your policy review.
○ Specify for the one legislative action you have selected the implementation level and one measurable outcome. Remember that you already identified the implementation level and measurable outcome in your previous assignment.
○ Remember that this needs to be a summary suitable for a 1–2-page letter. Do not simply copy and paste the information from your previous assignment into the letter. Instead summarize the information.
● Two to Three Improvements to Existing Legislation (2–3 paragraphs).
○ Propose two to three specific improvements to the existing legislation that could be developed into new legislation to strengthen, sustain, or expand the legislation’s positive impact.
○ Example: You previously described an obesity prevention policy implemented at the state level. This policy requires food establishments to display the calories in all food and beverages sold. One improvement to the legislation might be to require that this information also be made available in Spanish to meet state residents’ increasing language diversity.
● Support of Two Key Stakeholder Groups (1 paragraph).
○ Name two key stakeholder groups (such as organizations, agencies, or public health associations) whose buy-in would further support the legislation’s development and implementation.
○ Include an explanation as to why these groups’ support is needed.
● Signature Line.
○ Remember you are penning the letter for your legislator. The signature line needs to provide the legislator’s name and title rather than yours.
● Written communication: Your advocacy letter needs to be clear, concise, persuasive, well organized and generally free of errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
● Length: 1–2 single-spaced pages in Times New Roman, 12-point font. Do not exceed the two-page maximum length.
● References: Include a separate reference page in APA format. Also be sure you cite at least two references to current, scholarly and or authoritative sources in APA format throughout your letter.
● Scoring guide: Review this assignment’s scoring guide so that you understand how your faculty member is going to evaluate your letter.