There are many different types of groups that can exist in an organization, and these will often vary depending on the size and type of organization. Using your company, or one you are familiar with, discuss the following questions:
• What are the similarities and differences of formal and informal work groups?
• What role does diversity play in a group? What are the advantages and disadvantages to having a highly diverse group on a project?
• What role does organizational culture play in the level of success in a work group?
II. Assignment Details
Teams can exist for a myriad of reasons; however, the development process will always be relatively the same. Understanding each of the stages is important as it will allow for an understanding of the process that the team must progress through when brought together for a common goal. Discuss the following:
• Discuss the general characteristics of the 4 stages of team building: forming, storming, norming, and performing.
• Discuss a time when you were a member of a team in your organization. How did your team progress through the four stages? What issues arose, and how did your team overcome them?
III. Assignment Details
Teams have been used in organizations for many years. As the need to streamline operations to gain or maintain competitive advantage increases, the use of cross-functional or cross-departmental teams is increasing. Coupling this with the common management style of management by objectives (MBO), address the following questions:
• What are the advantages and disadvantages of a cross-functional and a cross-departmental team?
• When resources are scarce and one group in the equation meets their goals at the expense of the other failing due to lack of resources, how would you address the conflict that could arise?
• When creating the objectives for the team, how should the target goals be set? Should the team members play an active role in setting the target goals for each group within the team? Explain.
• What conflict resolution techniques do you believe would be the most effective in a cross-departmental or cross-functional team? How would you alter these techniques for a virtual team?