1. Use one sketch to help you describe the steps that occur in order for the following events to occur in a skeletal muscle cell.
a. Depolarization of the muscle cell membrane
b. myosin is able to bind actin filaments (in order for muscle contraction to occur)
2. Would a muscle cell contract or stay relaxed if you treated it with a drug that inhibits the binding of tropomyosin to actin? Explain your answer.
3. Answer the following questions for both actin filaments and microtubules:
a. describe at the molecular level one way in which cells control polymerization
b. describe at the molecular level one way in which cells control depolymerization
c. explain ONE consequence of treating an animal cell with a drug that binds actin monomers and prevents their polymerization
d. explain ONE consequence of treating an animal cell with a drug that stabilizes microtubules
4. List three examples of how microtubules function in cells.
5. You isolate vesicles containing a small molecule called Musket, which you hypothesize might be a previously undiscovered neurotransmitter. These vesicles are associated with kinesin. Explain how this data supports or does not support your hypothesis that Musket could be a neurotransmitter.