Jane and Connie are neighbours who both work as purchasing managers in different companies in the petrochemical industry. During one neighbourly discussion, Jane learned that Connie’s salary was nearly 15 percent higher than hers, even though their job duties were similar. Other than this difference, both received similar benefits and seemed to enjoy their jobs and colleagues. Jane was upset about Connie’s higher salary, although she did her best to hide her emotions from Connie. After all, it wasn’t Connie’s fault that they received different salary levels. Jane was frustrated not only because Connie received a significantly higher salary but also because she was certain that she worked longer hours and was more productive than Connie. Describe the seven actions that reduce inequity tension according to equity theory. Discuss which of these actions Jane is most likely to use in order to reduce her upset feelings.
2. Self-leadership provides a different way of thinking about motivating employees. Briefly define self-leadership and explain how self-leadership differs from other applied motivation practices. Then fully describe any three elements of the self-leadership model.
3. In a meeting, you are espousing the benefits of virtual teams, and your supervisor interrupts to offer his opinion that the concept of “virtual teams” is just a fad that doesn’t deserve further discussion. In order to convince him that his opinion about virtual teams is misinformed, define what virtual teams are, and discuss three reasons that the reliance on these types of teams will continue to grow in the future.
Part B is worth 60 percent of the total marks for this assignment.
Read “Scenario 3: Coast Guard Cutter Decision” on page 185 (in Chapter 7) of the textbook, and answer the three discussion questions below. Avoid repetition. Your total combined word count for these questions should be 1200-1500 words.
1. Describe the five levels of subordinate involvement presented on page185 of the text. What level of involvement is most appropriate in this case? Please provide support for your choice. ;sip:
2. Discuss the four contingencies that led you to choose this alternative over the oth
3. What problems might occur if more involvement occurred in this case?