Imagine that you are the Director of Health Information for a large hospital. As Director, you sit on various institution-wide committees which govern the organization’s policies. You have seen issues arise that cause you to propose changes in policies, procedures and operations across the hospital. Therefore, you have decided to create a proposal to the CEO and Board of Directors, which you will develop in collaboration with committee teams. Please follow the instructions below in completion of this assignment.
1. Select applications/systems for clinical classification and coding and appraise each vendor in terms of capacity to evaluate quality coding practices, possible implementation considerations/issues, and systems management challenges and training needs. Provide support for one system that you find as the “best option” with rationale.
2. Consider the principles and applications of classification systems and medical record auditing used within a clinical documentation improvement (CDI) program. Appraise the value and challenges of a quality CDI program by defending the need for ongoing CDI program support and critique challenges in the CDI process. Make connections between auditing, accurate diagnostic and procedural coding with classification systems, and CDI programs. Your executive summary should reflect upon the need for CDI and best practices for ensuring compliance.
3. Critique one interoperability issue that is possible within the health information exchange (HIE) (e.g., patient identity matching). Appraise apractices that address the issue.
4. Evaluate at least three (3) health information systems (HIS) and three (3) data storage designs (e.g., onsite, cloud). Select the best HIS and data storage design for disaster recovery purposes. Indicate your selections with rationale.
5. Evaluate managerial challenges related to clinical indices, databases, and registries from the perspective of a hospital’s health information management function. Recommend three (3) best practices or policies related to the management of secondary data sources.
6. With respect to data warehousing, appraise at least two (2) approaches in data warehouse design that supports quality data management from varying sources, processing/storage of data throughout the warehouse model, and meaningful output into the presentation layer. Summarize your recommendations in the executive summary.