Big idea: How will the Covid-19 pandemic affect human development?
The Covid-19 pandemic will continue to affect many aspects of our lives for years to come. The purpose of this paper is to pick one area and look at it from a developmental psychology point of view.
You will need to use concepts and theories we have been covering this semester. I understand we are only beginning to see research as we are still dealing with the pandemic itself. That said, you will be looking at what information you can find now, what is being speculated, and then using your own terrific thinking and what we have been covering, talk about what you see as developmental implications for one of the topics below. Pick something that interests you- it will make the project far more interesting. If there is something not on this list that you would like to write about, check with me.
Here are some possible topics drawn from that big idea:
• Impact on education for a particular age group (elementary, high school or college)
• Food insecurity and hunger for a child or adolescent
• Mental health for a particular age group
• Impact of being quarantined with family for a year
• Racism which has been made worse by the pandemic
• Relationships and intimacy for those in emerging or early adulthood
• Impact on friendships
• The college experience and what this means now and later
• Implications for higher education – more schools might assume that more can be moved online. What does that mean to you as students?
• Ageism and treatment of the elderly
• Having a baby at this moment in history
• Employment and unemployment – both in general and as you think about your own future
• What will the workplace look like? What has been the impact of work from home in terms of how we will return to the office environment
• Impact on domestic violence and all forms of abuse
When she was Seven, Mareikura spent her first guy fawkes night away from home, away from both of her parents. Mareikura’s dad left her and her mum a few months prior, and Aroha was very busy with work, hence she didn’t spend much time with her daughter. Instead, Mareikura stayed with her Nanny Pauline, (who was becoming like a second mum to her), her koro, and her Nanny’s daughter, (who was Mareikura’s age), Grace. Mareikura slowly and carefully stepped onto the concrete path, looking above the metal gate at the massive Keri Keri house. The porch was made of darkly painted wood, and a rocking chair was situated by the doorway. She took a step closer and took in the essence of the house, with it’s soft kowhai trees and small lake. After a few minutes of her being at the house, Mareikura and Grace headed outside to explore. Her Nanny had only just moved to the house so there was still a lot of areas of the property to explore. They came across a bench that was near the small lake and camped out underneath it. Grace pulled out a notebook and stationery out of her leopard print backpack from equip, and Mareikura eagerly agreed to help Grace draw pictures. Grace drew bright pictures of princesses and princes, while Mareikura drew black and white pictures of the family that she once had. As much as Mareikura loved is when she stayed with her nanny and koro, she felt a sense of longing for the family that used to be. As the girls watched the fireworks they smiled, giggled, and jumped whenever a firework would explode into the sky. At some point during the night, Mareikura noticed that there was a man staring at them, from across the road. She squinted her eyes to look closer. He looked like her dad, but could that be? She took a few moments to think about things, struggling to understand what was going on. She looked back at him and observed his appearance. In some ways he looked the same as he had the last time she saw him, but in other ways he looked quite different.>GET ANSWER