• Watch the movie The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1920).
• Read two attached readings.
• Write a 5 pages paper which including the following questions.
1. Discuss the Expressionist aspects of The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1920). Which of these elements have been borrowed/co-opted/stolen since then? How have these elements been used to establish the horror genre? [Examples here: the mad doctor, monster of sorts, mind-control, mental institution, murder (in the shadows), violence off-screen vs on. The double (dummy; fake vs real); The flashback.]
2. How do the bizarre Expressionistic sets affect our viewing in The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1920)? Our connection with the characters? Emotional investment?
3. What is the logic of the architectural elements in The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (1920)? IE are there any rules to the madness that you noticed? Reception of spirals. Exaggerated height of chairs/stools for instance – significance? What is the emotional effect the filmmakers are looking for here? What is the architecture of humanity, juxtaposed with the setting of the town?