Assignment Template COMPLETE EACH SECTION
The following template guides you through the assignment in a step-by-step manner. Complete each section prior to moving to the next.
Community Organization or Agency: Describe the following elements that you discover or see in the community organization or agency
1. Date/time/location of interview
2. Briefly describe the selected community organization or agency in terms of area, location, geographic boundaries, etc. On November 30 at 8am in Frontier High School, Students who wish to focus on career and technology pathways as juniors and seniors.
3. Briefly describe the services or impact provided by the selected community organization or agency. Frontier High School students are guaranteed placement in any Career & Technology course offered on Campus as long as prerequisites are met.
Physical Environment: Describe the area/community around the community organization or agency
4. Describe indicators of growth or decline (i.e., is this a “thriving” community or does it feel “run-down” and what evidence supports this? Is there new or ongoing construction? Are buildings, roadways, and public areas clean and well-maintained, or do you see dirt, trash and debris or graffiti?
5. What are the places for employment in the community?
People: Describe the following people that you see in the community
1. Describe community members including demographic information: age, gender, race, and ethnicity (i.e., what sorts of people do you see: young, old, male, female, single families, multiple families, generational families, etc? Estimate % for each group you see) 70% White, 30% equally divided with African American, Asian, or Hispanic. 68 Seniors and 72 Juniors evenly male and female.
2. Does the population in the surrounding community seem to be homogeneous or diverse (as evidenced by—for example—hair styles, clothing, signs in languages other than Spanish, restaurants, festivals, etc.)? There is Sam’s Club, Shopping mall, a lot of restaurants for Mexican, American or Asian food.
3. Describe healthy lifestyle behaviors observed (i.e., exercise, relaxation, healthy eating, wearing helmets while biking, seat belt usage, availability of fresh produce in grocery stores, etc.) Note the age, ethnicity, and race of persons (estimate %) observed participating in healthy lifestyle behaviors. Since PE class is a requirement in order to graduate. The lifestyle behaviors seem very healthy.
4. Describe any health and/or safety risk behaviors observed (i.e., what are the lifestyle risk behaviors of people). Do you see people drinking, smoking, fighting, etc? Do you see overweight/underweight people? When I was there to observed, I didn’t see overweight/underweight students. Even school staffs too.
5. Are there indications of safety concerns including: signs of violence, gang, graffiti, drug, and/or criminal activities? Do you see bars on windows, etc? Note the age, ethnicity, and race of persons observed (estimate %).
6. Describe any indicators of people living in poverty
Interviewee Profile: Describe the person you interviewed and his/her role in the community organization or agency
8. Name and position of person Academic Counselor
9. Primary job description and main responsibilities Her job is to make students to graduate, college career, and support them.
10. How what he/she does relates to the mission of the community organization or agency Real world work, if some people are interest in science they have hospital to work with. Just try hands on real life experiences.
11. His/her vision for the future as that relates to either the community organization or agency and/or to his/her particular position (i.e., top three goals for the organization) Every year they have new students are coming. Goal is to get more students to get here and help more teacher what is this school about.
12. How he/she got to this particular position First time she got a job, she was a teacher because of her dad made her do it. After few years of her teaching job,
13. Advice for undergraduate students seeking careers in Public Health Try new things and see what they are interested in because nothing will waste their time.
Analysis and Summary
14. Analyze and summarize the information you observed during the assignment, write a summary of how the community organization or agency is related to your particular health issue or topic.
Focus on the key community-related issues associated with your health issue or topic and how the community organization or agency is serving those needs to improve health for the community. Must be at least two-three paragraphs.
15. References—in this section list any references that you included
16. Appendices—in this section include any artifacts that you collected during your assessment that better provides a picture of the community (i.e., community map, photos, etc.)
The following rubric identifies the grading criteria for this assignment.
IMPORTANT GRADE-POINT INFORMATION
● Each section of this assignment is graded based on the specific information requested per section.
●Check each section of this assignment for the need to cite/ reference any of the information you used.
Needs Improvement Not Acceptable
Community Organization or Agency
(15 pts.) Content makes comprehensive connections between the required components to create a thorough report of the interview process. Content makes some connections between the required components to create a thorough report of the interview process. Content makes some connections between the required components to create a thorough report of the interview process, but is lacking in detail or professional writing. Content makes no connections between the required components to create a thorough report of the interview process, but is lacking in detail or professional writing.
14-15 12-13 10-11 0-9
(i.e., Housing, parks, growth or decline, transportation) Provides clear, concise summary; clarifies with multiple examples Provides summary but provides limited or unclear supporting details or examples. Student provides a general summary but provides no supporting details or examples. Summary is weak, inaccurate, or includes no details.
14-15 12-13 10-11 0-9
(15 pts) Provides clear, concise summary; clarifies with multiple examples Provides summary but provides limited or unclear supporting details or examples Provides a general summary but provides no supporting details or examples Summary is weak, inaccurate, or includes no details
14-15 12-13 10-11 0-9
Describe the person you interviewed and his/her role in the community organization or agency Provides clear, concise summary of interview; clarifies with multiple examples. Provides summary of interview but provides limited or unclear supporting details or examples. Provides a general summary of interview but provides no supporting details or examples. Summary of interview is weak, inaccurate, or includes no details
Interviews are clear and concise and all questions are answered. Interviews are limited and one question are not addressed Interviews are limited and two questions are not addressed
Interview is incomplete, with several questions not answered.
27-30 24-26 21-23 0-20
Analysis (25 Pts):
Summary of the Community Organization or Agency as it Functions to Address Key Community Issues Three to four well-developed paragraphs.
Clearly and succinctly identifies and describes key community health issues.
Conclusions are accurate, logical, and based on the subjective data.
Writing is clear and objective without bias Three to four adequate paragraphs.
Describes community health issues.
Conclusions are based on subjective data but could be stronger. Two to three adequate paragraphs.
Descriptions of community health issues are vague.
Conclusions are vague. Summary length is insufficient.
The community health issues identified are weak or are inaccurate.
Conclusions are inaccurate or based on opinion.
22-25 20-21 17-19 0-16