Name the Five “Civilized” Tribes and the Iroquois Confederacy. For the Iroquois Confederacy please include the date of the last group to join.
2. Why was the Potlatch made illegal to practice? Please include the dates of when this ruling was overturned in the U.S. and Canada.
3. Identify the major characters/images/totemic symbols visible in Pacific Northwest Crest Pole art.
4. Describe how and why Wampum was used by tribes in the Northeast.
5. List the techniques, and colors, involved in the Formline artistic style. Be sure to include all the information discussed/noted within readings and lecture notes.
6. List three (3) ceremonial practices noted and discussed within the East. (Hint: There are a number to select from stated within the various readings – Berlo, Lecture Notes, Course Reader articles.)
7. Who named the Formline technique in the Pacific Northwest?
8. What is the meaning of “Trade-in-Metaphors”?
9. List the seven (7) types of Crest Poles in the Pacific Northwest.
10. Who were the non-Native groups that colonized the East and what techniques of separation were installed in this region?
Section 3 – Essay Portion: References Required for all questions. *Essays are to be at least one (1) full page of text single-spaced or two (2) full pages of text double-spaced. Images used to support your essay are not included in the required page length for the exam.
Please select from one (1) of the following:
1. Discuss the art of George Morrison. Why is his work important? What may be some points of meaning within his art to prescribe contemporary Native People? There is a Case Study – with useful links – to his work within the Lecture Notes. Please be sure to include all references. Please Do Not conduct a general web search on his work, artistic history, and the like. This will be viewed as unacceptable as a means to complete this essay.
2. Discuss the performance art works of James Luna. Why is his work important? What does he mean when he states that there is a difference between “being a spectacle and making a spectacle?” What may be some points of meaning within his art to prescribe contemporary Native People? It may be useful to review the Lecture Notes – and embedded links – regarding this work for further assistance. Please be sure to include all references.
3. Review the video “Native Noise” (http://www.rebelmusic.com/#!music/rebel-music/feature/native-noise (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.). Discuss not only the important points, but also the artistic representations and use by these different musical artists. It will be useful to review the trailer and the other supporting content on the website (see Lecture Notes and included link to this site). Please be sure to include all references.