The Essay is an ALTERNATIVE to the business submission. DO NOT do both.
Choose ONE of the following essay questions. Answers can use examples from any country to illustrate a concept or argument, provided the examples are relevant.
1. To what degree (if any) should the government interfere in the operations of the free market?
2. Political actors or political institutions – which are more important to business?
3. Is neoliberalism responsible for most of the global problems we are experiencing today?
4. Governments have no choice but to support business interest groups over other interest groups. Do you agree? Discuss by providing contemporary examples.
In the structure of the essay, it is very important that you have a clear introduction that sets out what argument you are making and how you intend to make and support it. The body will consist of points in support of your position. The conclusion restates the arguments and offers some observations based on your research.
A minimum of 8 references is required, which should include academic sources. All material drawn from these references must be appropriately cited. Use SafeAssign (see Assessment: General Information above) if unsure.
Written assignments must conform to the standards specified below:
* A title page with your name, student number, title of essay/submission and word length must be included.
Completed assignment cover sheet (available on course L&G website).
* The font size must be read comfortably.
* The following examples should be used as a guide: Arial – 10 point and Times Roman – 12 point.
* Line spacing is either double or 1½.
* Both margins (left and right) are at least 3 cm.
* Pages are numbered.
* References cited in the text conform to the Harvard reference style. If a reference is taken from a particular page, or pages, within the article or book, then the page number(s) must be included. The format should include the author, date of publication, and page number.
* When words are taken directly from other sources (books, articles and web sites) and reproduced in an essay/submission quotation marks must be used.
* A reference list is attached and the entries are in alphabetical order by author.
* The assignment has been proof read.