1. What are the differences between employees and independent contractors? Please provide examples for each. Is it possible for an employer to reclassify all of his employees as independent contractors? Explain why or why not.
2. Can your company legally change your job responsibilities, reduce your salary, or assign you to a different department? Explain why or why not. What are the potential legal considerations for the employer in the event of such changes?
3. Distinguish between disparate impact and disparate treatment discrimination claims.
4.An employee receives a letter of reprimand that goes in his personnel file but is not demoted and does not suffer any other action. Does the letter constitute an adverse employment action? Consider the Army federal civilian employee table of penalties, which is provided in the Word document at the link: httplAvww.gordon.army.mil/cpac/cpac/SupvAsHRMgr/Mod%205-2,%20H01%20-%20%20MER%20Handbook%20for%20Supervisors.doc When an employee engages in misconduct or performs poorly, the employee needs to be disciplined. However, employers want to give employees a chance to improve. Accordingly, disciplinary and/or rehabilitation actions start small and should increase in severity only if there is no improvement or continued bad behavior. In the Army, there is a suggested table of penalties for managers’ use. Although Army supervisors don’t have follow these rules, the table’s guidelines can be helpful for consistence. Check it out. Have you encountered a similar tool anyplace you have worked? Can you see how this table works similar to some of the state law approaches? 5. Describe the range of testing that is allowed in the workplace. What are some of the limitations of workplace testing? What are some of the limitations of preemployment testing? What are some of the potential pitfalls for management? What might management do to avoid the pitfalls? Provide an actual example as part of your response to each question.
6. Define affirmative action. Which employers are subject to affirmative action laws? What potential effect does affirmative action have on employees and the workplace? Please provide examples for your response to each question.
7. Define “reverse discrimination” and tell how it relates to affirmative action.
8. Kayla, a supervisor, recently hired a new manager, Alex, but has received complaints from customers that they cannot understand him when they speak to him on the telephone. Alex is a Romanian employee visiting from the company’s Romanian office and is scheduled to remain with the firm for two years. Kayla is concerned that if she allows Alex to perform duties similar to other managers, the firm will lose customers; however, she is unsure about the firm’s liability for decreasing Alex’s responsibilities as a result of his foreign accent. What do you advise? 9. The case involving New Haven Connecticut firefighters, Ricci v. DeStefano, is discussed in Chapter 5. Here’s an article about it, too. : http://racerelations.about.com/od/thelegalsystem/a/WhiteFirefightersAccuseNewHavenofRacialBias.htm. What’s an employer to do? The fire department management It thought the promotion exam had a disparate impact on minorities, and they threw out the test results. White males sued claiming discrimination, and they won.
10. Plastico Corporation’s management hears through the corporate grapevine that its employees are unhappy with work conditions at the manufacturing plant and are looking into bringing in a union. In an effort to stop the plant’s unionization, Plastico posts a notice on the lunchroom bulletin board that anyone sympathetic to unions will be terminated. Is this action permissible as a way for Plastico to discourage unions?
11. Describe the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 and its requirements.
12. How many times in the news have you seen a company’s “export” of labor services to a foreign country because labor is less expensive, likely because employees do not have to be paid as much as employees in the United States? Consider that the factory or work provided in that country may be the only means of support for many, many people, and even though the standards aren’t up to U.S. ones, they are better than if the company wasn’t there at all and didn’t provide the jobs.
Fall of Malacca Empire Distributed: third October, 2016 Last Edited: 29th September, 2017 Disclaimer: This article has been put together by an understudy. This isn't a case of the work composed by our expert paper scholars. You can see tests of our expert work here. Any feelings, discoveries, conclusions or suggestions communicated in this material are those of the writers and don't really mirror the perspectives of UK Essays. FALL OF MALACCA EMPIRE The brilliant time of Malacca finished in 1511. Realm Malacca who called to an end after the Portuguese assault Malacca under the run of Sultan Mansur Shah. Inside Factors Frail LEADERSHIP and OPPRESSIVE ADMINISTRATION Frail decision government is the underlying driver to the fall of the Malacca Sultanate. They were overdependence on Tun Perak until the point that they can't locate an able pioneer to supplant him. After the demise of the Bendahara Tun Perak, Malacca did not have a productive pioneer as the substitution of Tun Perak which is Tun Mutahir as a Bendahara was a frail pioneer since he more worry on his own welfare and one-sided amid his organization. A considerable lot of the pastors communicated their disappointment with this part of the method for his administration style. Subsequently, there were regularly battles for control. Furthermore, Sultan Mahmud who gave careful consideration to the organization consider as a powerless pioneer as well. He empowers the officers to go about however they wanted. Renumerating and slander were overflowing and unavoidably result in financial shakiness and discontent among the general population. Defilement in organization to increase individual riches had caused the forced of high assessments on natives and brokers constrained shippers to move their thoughtfulness regarding Acheh, the other exchanging ports. In the meantime, Bendahara Tun Mutahir being charged that he endeavored to topple the lord. He evoked the outrage of Sultan Mahmud so without assist examination Sultan Mahmud executed Bendahara Tun Mutahir and his family. Raja Ahmad the inheritor was likewise powerless and wasteful. At the point when Sultan Mahmud acknowledged he wasn't right, he gave rule to his child which was not able help him to administer his domain. Though Bendahara Tun Perpatih, the successor which is likewise feeble, sick and old. Child of Sultan Mahmud DISUNITY Malacca's powerless position caused the divided of individuals and spilt into groups. Bendahara Tun Mutahir is and Indian-Muslims. His powerless organization and honed partiality had made the Malays turned out to be antagonistic towards them and form into racial pressure. Bendahara Tun Mutahir been designated had caused the desire among Malays and the apparent was when Sultan Mahmud instructed Bendahara Tun Mutahir and Tun Ali to be sentence to death at the selling out by Raja Mandaliar and Laksamana Khoja Hassan, an Indian local. Bendahara Tun Perak's child, Tepok been designated as Bendahara yet he was excessively old. These variables had causes the disunity among the occupants of Malacca. THE WEAKNESS OF MALACCA MILITARY AND Defense Kept misconception caused isolation and disunity among the general population. The circumstance turned out to be more terrible and basic when the Portuguese, drove by Alfonso d'Albuquerque assaulted Malacca. For Malacca warriors, they are losing of abilities since they not associated with war for quite a while. They had been utilizing conventional weapons, for example, creese, bolt and lance amid the war with Portuguese. Though, Portuguese utilized present day weapons, for example, gun that obviously unique in relation to Malacca in term of range and versatility. Portuguese military have all around prepared weapons and great vital arranging with the direction of Alfonso d'Albuquerque. Before Portuguese assault Malacca, they had vanquished Goa India so they have support of armed force from Goa India. Be that as it may, for Malacca, the hired soldier warriors from Jawa surrendered state amid the war. Unfaithfulness OF FEREIGNERS AND MERCHANTS Because of the political insecurity, dealers who came and remain at Malacca did not accept to the legislature of Malacca. They even upheld and bolstered Portuguese amid their assault. For Chinese vendor, they gave colossal freight ships on advance to Portuguese. Tamil vendor gave data with respect to Malacca safeguard framework. Outer Factors THE DISCOVERY OF THE CAPE OF GOOD HOPE (TAAJUNG HARAPAN) It is a maritime section in Southern Africa that found by Bartholomew Diaz in 1488. The effective of intersection of the Cape of Good Hope enabled the mariner to cruise from the west which is Portugal toward the East. While Prince Henry anxious to find their exchanging the East that prompt the consolation of his kin to sail to East with the motto of ' Gospel, Gold, Glory '. The development of Portuguese ocean investigation was spearheaded by Vasco da Gama. He was the first to find the east shores of India that assistance in the foundation of Portuguese. C:UsersAngDesktopaaaaaaaa.gif Rise OF OTHERS TRADE CENTERS Because of the abusive organization and the high assessments, brokers began to searched for other port, for example, Acheh and Brunei. They had at long last changed to alternate ports where they can be dealt with decently. Lecturing Lopez de Sequeira was allocated by Prince Henry to break down the exchange possibilities in Malacca. He touched base at Malacca conveying with him a letter offer from the King. His activity was to build up exchange with Malacca. Bendahara Tun Mutahir and the officer who were great in the court were threatening towards the Christian. The shippers from Gujarat, who got the news the Portuguese wanted to lectured a sacred war against those Muslims unbelievers. Tragically, in view of the contention between Bendahara Tun Mutahir and Sultan Mahmud Shah, de Sequeira figured out how to get known a plot was intended to execute him and his is figured out how to escape from Malacca with his armada, abandoning a few of his aides as hostages. Conclusion From the examination we had make, we infer that Malacca Sultanate Empire had experienced three times which are the start and the ascent, the center and the fall of the domain in the meantime it contributes an extraordinary spaces in Malaysian history, since it is said to be the inception of the present sultanate of Malaysia. From the procedure that Malacca experienced we abridge that successful and methodical organization had lead Malacca to the best result. The pioneer himself must be a good example to influence the realm to develop and join the subject. Subjects' capacity can't be ignored on the grounds that it impacted the advancement of any realm on the planet including stock and dealers. We are reminded that in whatever time and place imprudent authority, debasement, disunity and feeble guard must be dodged or generally strife history happens once more.>GET ANSWER