English teaching material design

Design a set of materials for use in a specified teaching context. The assignment should include the following:

· the materials themselves (i.e. the students’ handouts and other materials they work with; (The authentic material from Tripadvisor about restaurant review)
· where appropriate any tapes, visual aids, role cards etc. that form an integral part of the materials; (Visual aids: Pictures of the restaurant to raise students awareness in lead-in stage)
· brief teaching notes with aims and objectives and answer keys
· a brief rationale describing the teaching context the materials are intended for, and giving
reasons for the approach that the materials follow.

Material Design

Design a set of materials for use in a specified teaching context. The assignment should include the following:

· the materials themselves (i.e. the students’ handouts and other materials they work with; (The authentic material from Tripadvisor about restaurant review)
· where appropriate any tapes, visual aids, role cards etc. that form an integral part of the materials; (Visual aids: Pictures of the restaurant to raise students awareness in lead-in stage)
· brief teaching notes with aims and objectives and answer keys
· a brief rationale describing the teaching context the materials are intended for, and giving
reasons for the approach that the materials follow.

As a rough guide, you should provide enough materials for 1½ – 2½ hours of classroom work. The rationale, which relates general principles to your context should be no more than 1000 words in length, will account for 25% of the total marks (please do not exceed 1000 words). The remaining 75% of the marks will be for the professional aspect of this task, i.e. the materials and supporting elements.

Aims: in the lesson, you are going to write a restaurant review.
You will practise these things:
• Speaking: using pictures to active schematic knowledge
• Reading(Pre-writing): Read for meaning from the review of the authentic text provided
• Language: Vocabulary: idioms and sets of negative and positive expression (in order to help students in writing review e.g. friendly staff, horrible food)
• Writing: write a review
Rationale

• Multilingual group of students aged 20-50 learning English at language school in London
• Their English level is intermediate.
• The class would be between 10 to 15 students.
• I would also grant those student have some experience in London for a while.

Learning and Teaching Approaches
• Product approach
• Genre approach

Davie’s findings (2006), I found that many of students also felt more motivated and attentive when using self-made materials in class rather than something from the textbook.

In a product approach the learner’s task is usually to imitate, copy or transform models of correct language (Nunan 1991: 87)

•Writing as consolidation of grammar and lexis

Example
Topic: Restaurant review
Learning objectives: describing the restaurant about food quality, service, environment, music
Task: Write a review to TripAdvisor. Give your name, say where you come from and what your hobbies are. Use expressions such as: ‘My name is/ Hallo, I am; I am from…, I am really interested in/ keen on’

Writing for writing aims at developing students skills as writers – to help students become better writers. The main focus is on communicating meanings, on whole texts, and on the kinds of things students need to write in real life.
Product approaches focus on the end result of the learning – what it is the learner is expected to be able to do as a fluent and competent user of the language. Process approaches on the other hand focus more on the various classroom activities which are believed to promote the development of skilled language use. (Nunan 1991: page 86)

Use this to be a writing model and use the vocabulary in this authentic text.

Sample Solution

ACED ESSAYS