1) How is the literature of the 20th century critical of the mythology that America built around itself in the 19th century? Discuss in relation to TWO texts that we have studied this semester.
2) Spurred by counter-traditional imperatives, Modernism in literature ushered in an age of experimentation in both form and content of literary works. How does this experimentation work in TWO texts that we have studied this semester?
3) The U.S. has played a major role in a number of armed conflicts around the world, and some notable works of American literature take up war as their subject. Discuss representations of war in ONE or TWO texts that we have studied this semester.
4) A confrontation with the events of a traumatic past is at the heart of a number of texts we have studied this semester. Discuss in relation to TWO texts.
5) Discuss representations of masculinity and femininity in any of the set texts?
6) America was formed out of a rupture with Britain. An ongoing state of dissent is often reprised in the work of American writers who figure resistance as heroic. Explore the figure of the hero or the anti-hero in ONE OR TWO texts we have studied.
7) Postmodern literature often works to subvert master narratives of official history. How does this work in ONE or TWO texts that we have studied that engage with historical events?
8) Discuss the way in which “home” is figured in ONE or TWO texts we have studied this semester.
9) How is love (any type of love: romantic, familial, friendly, universal, self-love…) portrayed in any of the set texts?
10) Discuss ways in which a quest for understanding or a struggle for identity might be seen as a reaction to or development of the pursuit of happiness. Please refer to any of the set texts in your response.
This essay will argue that Schmitt makes some of pertinent evaluations of democracy, and that his theory of sovereignty is a effective and subtle account of the workout of political strength. but, Schmitt’s principle in Der Bergriff is fundamentally incoherenton some of counts. As Derrida notes at the start of the essay,Schmitt’s idea of the political is unobtainable, it's miles structurallyanalogous to the idea of redemption in Christianity: it is able to onlyever occur in the future while placed within the gift utterance ofspeech. That he has created a ‘natural’ concept of the political is notonly immensely politically unsound, divorcing because it does the perception ofpolitics from the perception of the ‘exact existence’ that we find in politicalphilosophy considering Aristotle, it is theoretically suspect. Schmitt basesthe complete of his political principle on an aestheticisation of violence,which isn't born out through the phenomenological experience of violence,and misunderstands the relationship among sovereignty and the social world. That his concept of politics is unobtainable is tacitly admitted bySchmitt (1996) inside the Leviathan in the kingdom theory of Thomas Hobbes:that means and Failure of a Political symbol. This work is written at theheight of Nazi electricity, and yet Schmitt reverses his in advance declare approximately the connection between the kingdom of exception and the overall state.This e-book can be visible as the epitaph to the argument between Schmittand Benjamin (before Benjamin fled Germany to die at the Spanishborder) at the perception of the country of exception. in the quote from Benjamin that begins this essay he uses a distinction among a realand a faux kingdom of emergency: what he is aware is that the use of aconstant kingdom of emergency is where the opportunity of a relation between law and that state collapses. regrettably, Schmitt realised this too late. II became God a Bureaucrat? If there may be nowadays nonetheless no loss of individuals who do not understand howindecent it's miles to “consider”–or a sign of decadence, of a broken willto stay–nicely, they may understand it tomorrow. (Nietzsche: 1990:three) Schmitt evolved maximum of his ideas in the shadow of the Weimarrepublic, a democracy suffering with out an armed compelled and without aclear authorities. In this period, many conservative thinkers lookedback to a time when guy used to have God underwriting divine rule. Inthis Mythischer Traum (mystical dream), sovereignty become defined bytranscendence. thus, it changed into a sphere separated off from the rest oflife: sovereignty become not a be counted for discussion and famous will, itwas the law. Conservatives in Germany on the time concept lots of theproblems of the Weimar Republic could be understood because of asecularisation that positioned man on the centre of the arena, and thusturned the idea of sovereignty as an exception to existence into an idea ofpopular will: in Schmitt’s phrases, transcendence is sacrificed to immanence.>GET ANSWER