As discussed earlier in this course, your personal teaching philosophy is a work in progress. During week 8, you will revisit and revise your teaching philosophy that you submitted during week 1. As part of this assignment, you should evaluate your original philosophy and include a one-page discussion of how your thoughts and ideas about teaching have changed and developed during this course. Guidelines for revising your teaching philosophy and the one-page discussion are below.
Revised Personal Teaching Philosophy (3 pages)
• Reflect on the teaching principles and practices discussed during the course.
• What did you learn about teaching that you did not know prior to this course?
• What stood out as important to you over the past 8 weeks?
• Consider how you might expand, adapt, or change your original philosophy to your current perspective on teaching (or you may feel compelled to take it in a completely new direction).
• Your revised teaching philosophy should:
o Have a clear focus or theme.
o Be authentic and personal.
o Relay who you are (or aspire to be) as a teacher.
o Exhibit genuine enthusiasm for teaching.
o Clearly express your current teaching values and beliefs, and discuss why you hold those values and beliefs (whether or not they have changed).
o Describe your current teaching goals (whether or not they have changed).
o Explain the teaching methods or strategies that you believe are best (whether or not they are different from your original philosophy). Note: make sure the teaching methods you find best are consistent with your goals.
o Incorporate any new ideas and/or practices that encourage a rich teaching and learning experience.
o Be well written, using a first person narrative and present tense.
o Follow APA style.
o Have no any grammatical, typographical, or spelling errors.
Evaluation Discussion of Teaching Philosophy (1 page)
As part of this revised teaching philosophy assignment, you should include a discussion evaluating how your personal thoughts and ideas about teaching have changed during this course.
• After you have revised your personal teaching philosophy, carefully review your original teaching philosophy that you submitted during week 1 of this course.
• Compare your original philosophy to your revised teaching philosophy and evaluate the following in a one-page written discussion:
o Have your teaching goals, methods, or strategies changed, and if so, how and why? Have your teaching priorities and/or perspectives changed or shifted, and if so, how and why?
o Do you value different learning experiences, and if so, what are they and why?
• Include any additional information that may highlight how your thoughts and ideas have changed or developed during this course.
• Include references that you found helpful, insightful, or meaningful in the development of your philosophy of teaching.
• In addition to the course texts, include at least two outside sources from peer-reviewed journals to support your ideas.