This is an individual assignment.
Q1. (10 marks)
Construct an activity on arrow network based on the activity descriptions below. Show all your work. Label activities in the network by their activity letters and node numbers. Remove any redundant dependencies and label dummy activities DUMMY1, DUMMY2, etc.
• Activities H, R2, T1 start the project.
• Activity T2 can start when Activities H, E1 and S are completed.
• Activity E1 also depends on Activity R2.
• Activity X follows Activity H and precedes Activity L.
• Activity E is preceded by Activities T2 and P1.
• The predecessors to Activity G are Activities L, T2 and P1.
• The successors to Activity T1 are Activities E1, S, W and D2.
• Activity P1 cannot begin until Activity W is finished.
• Activity P2 and F follow Activities W and D2, and precede Activities E and R1.
• Activity O2 depends on T2 and P1 , and precedes Activity L.
Q2. (5 marks)
Compare and contrast the project evaluation and review technique (PERT) with the critical path method (CPM).
Q3. (5 marks)
Using the information in the table below, assuming that the project team will work a standard working week (5 working days in a week) and that all tasks will start as soon as possible:
Task Description Duration (Working days) Predecessor/s
A Requirement Analysis 5
B Systems Design 15 A
C Programming 25 B
D telecoms 15 B
E Hardware installation 30 B
F Integration 10 C, D
G System Testing 10 E, F
H Training/Support 5 G
I Handover and Go-Live 5 H
a) Determine the critical path of the project.
b) Calculate the planned duration of the project in weeks
Q4. (10 marks)
Explain in detail Eliyahu Goldratt’s Theory of Constraints with a brief note on its application in Project Management.