1. Select an area of interest within psychology.
2. locate one peer-reviewed journal article in your area of interest pertaining to psychology that uses interpretation of statistical analysis to study an issue that is important in individual, organizational, or social contexts. Select an article that uses quantitative (not qualitative) analyses to address an important individual, organizational, or social issue.
3. Write a 3-page paper in which you will provide a critical analysis of the article. The criteria that will be used to assess your paper are listed below.
Follow the directions listed below each criterion:
• Criterion 1: Explain an issue explored through quantitative research in a peer-reviewed journal article.
o In your words, explain the issue that the study was undertaken to address and why it is important in individual, organizational, or social contexts.
• Criterion 2: Evaluate research that proposes solutions based on interpretation of statistical analyses.
o Explain and evaluate the research methodology, including:
? Relevance and clarity of the research questions and hypotheses.
? Methods of sampling and gathering data.
? Methods of statistical analyses.
o Evaluate areas of strength and areas of weakness in the study design and research process.
• Criterion 3: Assess conclusions based on interpretation and selection of supporting statistical analyses.
o Explain and evaluate how the statistical analyses support the conclusions, or if the support is not conclusive.
o Was the null hypothesis rejected or did the author(or authors) fail to reject the null hypothesis?
o Optional: Propose alternative experimental methods or hypotheses that could be used to investigate the study’s issue.
• Criterion 4: Write clearly and concisely, with correct spelling, grammar, and logical organization, and with respect for readers.
o Try to write in the clearest, most concise, and direct way.
o Check spelling, grammar, punctuation, and organization.
o Explain the meaning of statistical terms in plain language.
o Communicate in a manner that respects the dignity, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and individual uniqueness of a diverse audience.
• Criterion 5: Apply APA guidelines.
o You may wish to use the APA Paper Template (given in the Resources) to increase your understanding of APA style and format, a key component of academic writing.